Stress is defined as a state of mental or emotional strain caused by adverse circumstances. At one point or another, everyone deals with feelings of stress. Stress is very common and doesn’t have to be a negative thing. In fact, stress is one way the body avoids danger. It can also lead to increased productivity and motivation. Even positive life changes like a promotion, marriage, or a new baby can cause stress.
Another way that stress manifests is through communication. When feeling stressed, it is easy to become frustrated, which can have a negative effect on your communication skills. When a person is feeling stressed it’s easy for them to misunderstand another’s intentions or what they are attempting to communicate. Circumstances cannot always be controlled, but how you respond by using key communication skills can.
Basic Stress Management Course Key Takeaways
- Understand a basic overview of stress.
- Identify at least two personal symptoms of stress.
· Identify at least two personal strategies for managing stress.
· Name at least two resources that can help Marine families address stress.
· Develop an Individual Action Plan for managing stress.
Contact your local installation’s Marine Corps Family Team Building to sign up for one of our many classes such as Basic Stress Management, Conflict Management, Attitude & Actions, Family Care Plan, Basic Anger Management, and Real Relationships.